[GRASS-dev] wingrass binaries available [was: Re: [winGRASS] Updating CVS]

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Mar 29 19:20:08 EDT 2007

On Fri, March 30, 2007 00:18, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Colin Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Just wondering if it is possible to update the 6.3.cvs version for the
>> native wingrass. It works fairly well but there are still several
>> problems. If some of these have been fixed since September it would be
>> good to have an update. Either a new "grass.zip" or some instructions
>> on how to update from the latest CVS.
>
> If you're willing to build GRASS yourself, the native Windows version
> is built from the same code as the other versions, so the generic
> instructions are mostly valid.

To make life easier for those who don't feel comfortable compiling
themselves, I just put an experimental binary from here:

http://moritz.homelinux.org/grass/wingrass/

If I understand things correctly it should be almost self-contained, but
limited to GUI use (i.e. no shell). You only have to install ActiveState's
Tcl distribution (see the README). If you need a shell you have to install
msys.

If these binaries prove valid and useful, I am willing to provide regular
snapshots which could then be linked to from the GRASS downloads page. So
feedback welcome.

I did not include any of the database drivers other than the dbf driver. I
actually would need a reminder on the steps to compile these separately.

However, I won't be able to react for a week, as I'm leaving on vacation
tomorrow.

Moritz