[GRASS-dev] menu help

Daniel Calvelo dca.gis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 05:25:08 EDT 2007

On 3/29/07, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Michael Barton wrote:
> >
> > If anyone out there who is not working on the other code is feeling
> > energetic and/or has a bit of time on their hands, we could use having
> > the wxPython menu updated to match all the commands and structure now
> > in the TclTk one.
>
> could a script do it?

For the most part, I think so. But in the tcl version (and also in the
python counterpart) there are some commands embedded in the
definitions. Those must be hand-tuned to each back-end.

I suggest porting the menu structure to JSON (in preference of XML)
with special markers for these actions, and use the same source for
building both tcl and python guis.  That would also allow for
different menu combinations switchable at run-time depending on user
preferences. (AFAICT wxGRASS does present a different interface
according to the "user level" in which it is started.)

I could do the python part, but I'm practically illiterate in tcl.

> automation is good.

Absolutely. Just as duplication is bad... in code anyway.

Daniel.

--
-- Daniel Calvelo Aros