[GRASS-dev] font path question for Linux and Windows

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 2 11:01:22 EDT 2007

On 5/2/07 7:24 AM, "William Kyngesburye" <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:

> On May 2, 2007, at 3:10 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:
>
>>> Yes. However, that isn't all of the fonts which fc-list shows. E.g.
>>> fc-list shows the PCF fonts, but those don't work with R_font().
>>> Type1
>>> fonts work.
>>
> Ah.
>
>> In addition to scanning directories for files with specific
>> extensions, mkftcap also uses the output from "fc-list :outline",
>> which should find all of the OSX fonts.
>
> New snag - fc-list :outline doesn't get resource fonts (where all the
> useful MS fonts are).  I believe this is because these contain
> bitmaps for some font sizes, so fc-list is seeing them as bitmap
> fonts, not outlined.
>
> What about fc-list :scalable?  Does that leave out the PCF fonts?  It
> does get the resource fonts for me.

AFAICT, :outline, :outlined, and :scalable all produce the same list of
fonts. It would help (me at least) if there was some guide to fc-list syntax
and options. The help is zen-like in its minimalism. Looking at the man page
for fontconfigure isn't much help either.

>> The updated mkftcap script should cope with multi-font files; the part
>> which uses fc-list outputs the index, and should append it to the path
>> if it isn't zero. I can't test this, as none of my font files have
>> more than one font.
>>
> Actually, the index from fc-list isn't useful.  All it does is return
> the first index (0) in each file, whether or not it has multiple
> faces.  That is, there is only one entry per font file, which makes
> sense, since it's listing font files and that's all we really want at
> this stage.
>
> The face index should be left to the user to find out, with some sort
> of d.freetype.info command, which could use the FT library to get
> font info in C.  It should return index and face name, so the user
> would know what index to use for which style.  The output could also
> be parsed and used by the GUI so a full list of fonts and styles
> could be build instead of just a list of files.

So, if you DO know the font face index, how do you specify it in GRASS_FONT?

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213