[GRASS-dev] access to wingrass binaries

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Mon May 7 04:02:38 EDT 2007

How does this compare to the binaries currently shipped with QGIS?
Since these are also a MINGW/MSYS build, it should be possible to
put together a distribution including QGIS and GRASS with Tcl/Tk
support, yes?

This would be wonderful, as we could cover all levels of user
skills/habits, from GUI to command line and have a complete GRASS
running on all major platforms.

Benjamin

Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello Moritz
>
> On Mon, 7 May 2007, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
>> Any feedback on whether this "package" works as it should / as
>> expected by
>> users is more than welcome.
>
> I haven't tried this one but did give the last one a try and it seemed
> to work OK. I just tried command-line usage (grass63 -text) as the
> computer I was using it on didn't have Tcl/TK installed. I think we
> should be able to include Tcl and Tk libraries in the binary
> distribution too actually, to reduce compatibility issues and make it
> *really* easy to install.
>
>> I also imagine that if we want to make this more official, we need to add
>> licensing information, including for all the binaries that come from
>> Paul's package of dependencies. I added a short note at the end of the
>> readme, but this is surely insufficient. At least we should give the
>> respective web links. Paul, could you give me the list ? Also, should
>> these libraries maybe be updated to their latest versions ?
>
> Funnily enough I was just working on that yesterday. I've put an updated
> version of wingrass-extralibs.tar.gz up on www.stjohnspoint.co.uk/grass
> now. There you will also find build instructions with weblinks. Most of
> it is public domain or BSD-style licensed I think; perhaps one or two
> packages are GPL. This time the XDR library is compiled statically to
> work around the problems we had with database connections. Also FFTW and
> Freetype libraries are included for the first time. Things still aren't
> perfect (i.e. compiling is not as straightforward as it should be) but
> it all seems to work.
>
> Paul

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany