[GRASS-dev] GEM Wizard question

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed May 23 09:45:09 EDT 2007

Is that from within GRASS, or other shell use?  Which platform?  If
GRASS needs HOME as Hamish says, then it won't run without it (or not
run right), so G_home() will always work.  Unless maybe the GRASS
libraries are used outside of GRASS, like in Qgis or GDAL.

On May 23, 2007, at 1:43 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> When I've tried to use home without checking for its existence
> first, I've
> had reports of errors back from some users who claim that they do
> not have
> HOME set to anything. So I always try to check to see if it is valid.
>
> Michael
>

> On 5/22/07 11:00 PM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>> Note - there is a libgis function to get a user's home: G_home
>>> ().  It
>>> should work on all platforms (it has a mingw special case, but maybe
>>> it doesn't work on the Win native build?).  It would be handy to
>>> have
>>> a command equivalent to use in scripts, like g.home.
>>
>> Python/SWIG scripting:
>> /home/hamish
>>

>> "~" is expanded by the shell AFAIK, so that requires a shell to
>> expand.
>> "$HOME" works for me, where doesn't it work Michael?*
>>

>> On ms windows there is %HOMEPATH% and %USERPROFILE%.
>> No idea how they differ,
>>
>> MS Windows Command shell overview:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/
>> proddocs/en-us
>> /ntcmds_shelloverview.mspx?mfr=true
>>

>> [*] GRASS must know where home is, as that's where it looks
>> for .grassrc6.
>>
>> lib/init/init.bat does:
>>   if "%HOME%"=="" set HOME=%USERPROFILE%
>>   set WINGISRC=%HOME%\.grassrc6
>>
>> lib/init/init.sh does:
>>   GISRCRC="$HOME/.grassrc6"
>>

>> Hamish

> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy