[GRASS-dev] another make problem (OSX, but could be a general problem)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Oct 2 04:49:38 EDT 2007

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> Make now ALWAYS recompiles everything.  I'm guessing it has something
> to do with the recent parallel build/recompile changes.  My last cvs
> update was a week ago, and it was normal (a few would recompile
> regardless of the need, but not everything).
>
> ie, from a distclean and configure:
>
> make -> all GRASS is compiled
> change a source file or makefile - or not, doesn't matter
> make -> all recompiled

Odd. Apart from the changes required to support parallel builds, I
also made some changes to prevent unnecessary recompilation.

For me, about the only part which is re-compiled is the message
catalogues.

I'll look into it, but it's going to be awkward if I can't reproduce
it.

A couple of questions:

1. Is this with a MacOSX App build? If so, do you get the same
behaviour with a non-App build?

2. Does it help if you change the following in Rules.make from:

$(OBJDIR)/%.o : %.c $(LOCAL_HEADERS) | $(OBJDIR)
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(EXTRA_CFLAGS) $(NLS_CFLAGS) $(EXTRA_INC) $(INC) \
		-o $(OBJDIR)/$*.o -c $*.c

to:

$(OBJDIR)/%.o : %.c $(LOCAL_HEADERS)
	$(MKDIR) $(OBJDIR)