[GRASS-dev] another make problem (OSX, but could be a general problem)

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Thu Oct 4 22:08:30 EDT 2007

On Oct 4, 2007, at 10:27 , William Kyngesburye wrote:

>> This is less than ideal, as it will revert to the old form for 3.82,
>> but I can't think of a simple way to check for >= 3.81 (especially
>> considering that the version might not actually be a number, e.g.
>> 3.81-r1 or similar).
>
> That works, but ugly and doesn't cover the future is probably not
> what we want to do. (I saw some .1 versions in the make downloads)
>
> I'd be happy with the unconditional pipe and recommending to
> developers to upgrade their make and not worrying about the 1-shot
> user builds.

> I wonder what version other linux distros are at?

Ugh, all my machines use 3.80

Debian 3.1, Fedora 5, MacOSX Tiger

BUT I've been conservative with my upgrades, leading to package
databases that are no longer actively maintained.  Debian 4.0 is the
current stable, and it's at make 3.81-2.  Fedora 7 also uses 3.81.

So if Apple would just update the Dev Tools, we wouldn't need to
install our own, but that's (I'm guessing) waiting for the new OS
release.

I guess I should find some time for upgrades.

Cheers,
Scott