[GRASS-dev] native WinGRASS and attribute data deadlock, next try

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 11:48:14 EDT 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Benjamin wrote:
>
>>> So, how are we going to go ahead?
>>

> Glynn answered:
>
>> Figure out how to debug the processes. If you can't get gdb to work, I
>> can only suggest logging every significant event at the lowest level,
>> i.e. log every read/write operation: the arguments, the return code,
>> and the complete data (i.e. the buffer contents before read and after
>> write). This is all done in the RPC/XDR library, in xdr_stdio.c. It
>> will probably help to also log the beginning/end of each procedure
>> call (i.e. lib/db/dbmi_base/xdrprocedure.c).
>
> I would really like this to be solved, so I am willing to try to find some
> time to do the logging effort. Benjamin, have you advanced on this ?
>
> I will need some time understanding the xdr logic and code, but hope to be
> able to help with this.

I have a feeling there is more than one C implementation of the XDR
standard available on the 'net - perhaps trying an alternative one might
be something to try, in case there's a bug in the version we're using. We
already had undetectable (for a long time) problems caused by the current
version needing to be compiled statically.

I'd like to try this too if I had time but am unfortunately really busy
right now.

Paul