[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] Re: [winGRASS] native winGRASS pre-alpha testers needed

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Sep 5 06:27:14 EDT 2007

(moved to grass-dev)

benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de wrote on 09/05/2007 11:36 AM:
> In addition, GRASS shell scripts and modules should be checked
> and hardened for cases where spaces may appear in file or directory names.
>
> On a unix system, users generally don't store stuff in paths with
> spaces, but Windows by its very design encourages this.
> E.g. the user's home folder may well be something like
>
> So I'd recommend to do just that: install WinGRASS into a dir with
> spaces, create a GRASS mapset, also in a path with spaces, and
> work from there to find all the vulnerable bits and pieces.

This can be done by Linux/Mac users, too, for testing.
I just changed my grassdata/ to grass data/ and voila... cmd line
startup fails:

both
grass63 "~/grass data/spearfish60/user1"
grass63 ~/grass\ data/spearfish60/user1

fail in line 439 of Init.sh:

+ echo 'GRASS_GUI: text'
+ mv -f /tmp/grass6-neteler-27726/gisrc.27726
/tmp/grass6-neteler-27726/gisrc
+ '[' '!' /ssi0/ssi/neteler/grass ']'

 -> data of "grass data" got lost!

The code snippet is:
# Parsing argument to get LOCATION
if [ ! "$1" ] ; then

Apparently we need a trick since "$1" is taking only the first part.
Substitute ' ' earlier in Init.sh with '_' and then replace back?
Probably $@ isn't a good idea.

Markus