[GRASS-dev] TclTk animator finished - replaces xganim

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 01:41:39 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> >> That's an odd definition of "correct". Users are likely to expect
> >> [...] to follow glob/regexp semantics (match a single character from
> >> the set), so "rast[1-100]" should be equivalent to "rast[01]".
> >
> > Command line Linux users and programmers who use glob/regexp
> > semantics might well expect this. Non-programmer users, especially of
> > non-Linux platforms probably will understand [1-100] as meaning from
> > 1 to 100. In either case, it needs to go into the docs so that a user
> > will know how to specify maps that end in 1 to 100
> >
> > [1-100] or [1-9][0-9][0]
> >
> > The latter is harder to explain in docs than the former to someone not
> > familiar with regexp--and even some of us familiar with it.

Hi,  just a general comment--

whenever possible we should not try to reinvent the wheel, and then
expect our solution to be better than 20-30 years of UNIX gurus hashing
it out. It's the old saying- "Those who don't understand UNIX are doomed
to reimplement it. Poorly." Not that UNIX is perfect, but I don't expect
to be able to do a better job myself.

For me learning GRASS and Linux was not always intuitive, but because both
reused a lot of UNIX concepts, I didn't mind spending the time on it as it
became quickly apparent that the knowledge was reusable and transferable.
I don't want to sink a lot of learning time into one software's way of
doing things. I'd rather learn something once and then have it
magically work in lots of places. (eg I had lots of "oh yeah, Matlab does
that the same way..." moments)

Same concept as r.mapcalc reusing C's expression precedence etc. rather
than using some custom construct specific to GRASS. Or as "%03d" zero-
padded output strings in Tcl/awk/C/.../.../.....

Hamish