[GRASS-dev] locking on a raster

Ivan Shmakov ivan at theory.asu.ru
Sun Apr 6 12:16:05 EDT 2008

	BTW, is there a way to ``lock'' on a raster (or its data at
	least), so that it could be opened (or rewound) multiple times
	and, e. g., `G_get_raster_row' would return the same data, even
	if the raster was, e. g., renamed meanwhile?

	It seems to me that the combination of the dup () and lseek ()
	(or rather rewind ()?) likes for GRASS rasters would do the
	trick.  Are such library functions currently there?  Does it
	seem reasonable to implement them?

	I'd like to mention that given the standard Unix-like semantics,
	such a locking would imply that one could read a raster that was
	`g.remove'd meanwhile.  I think it's a nice feature for
	long-running GRASS modules, having to read certain rasters
	multiple times per run.