[GRASS-dev] r.in.xyz: inconsistent import behavior

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 10 12:20:43 EDT 2008

Hi Hamish,

back to my Lidar data, I see an inconsistency in the r.in.xyz behavior (I guess
that was already discussed but cannot find it):

GRASS 6.3.0svn (pat): > r.in.xyz d325095655/p325099657.txt
out=`basename d325095655/p325099657.txt` fs=space
Scanning data ...
Writing to map ...
 100%
r.in.xyz complete. 0 points found in region.

(yes, there are points in the file)

All GRASS import programs actually import the map without the need
that the user defines the boundary. Here, the user has to preset the region
(extra step) and then s/he can import.

Since we cannot change to much in GRASS 6, a flag to avoid this extra step
would be nice, something like:

-e Scan data file and import complete map

I am asking because I have to process *many* maps. Sure, I can easily
write a shell script for that but other users maybe not. Also for the sake
of consistency...

Markus