[GRASS-dev] Re: r.viewshed ready for testing

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 17:59:12 EDT 2008

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Paul Kelly wrote:

> Hi Will
>
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Will wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> So I got the trunk version of GRASS, and compiled it, but iostream and
>> r.terraflow gave me errors.  As the instructions say, I tackled the
>> iostream
>> error first, and I can't figure out what's wrong with it.   Here is what I
>> get if I call make in grass_trunk/lib/iostream
>>
>> cc -dynamiclib -compatibility_version 7.0 -current_version 7.0
>> -install_name
>  ^^
> GRASS is trying to use the C compiler to create the shared library - this
> worked on Linux so I didn't notice it but obviously that must have been just
> luck and it seems not to work on OS X. This clearly is something I need to
> look at and try to fix - none of the other libraries contain C++ code so this
> hasn't come up before.
>
> For now we can probably work around it by creating a static library instead
> of a shared one. Can you try changing the line
> default: lib
> in lib/iostream/Makefile to
> default: stlib
> and let me know how you get on?

Sorry just tested this more thoroughly - it seems you will also need to
edit include/Make/Grass.make.in and change
IOSTREAMDEP = $(ARCH_LIBDIR)/$(LIB_PREFIX)$(IOSTREAM_LIBNAME)$(LIB_SUFFIX)
IOSTREAMDEP = $(ARCH_LIBDIR)/$(LIB_PREFIX)$(IOSTREAM_LIBNAME)$(STLIB_SUFFIX)
and then rerun the configure script, in order for r.terraflow to compile
properly.

Paul