[GRASS-dev] Re: 7.x Status Update (Glynn Clements)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 03:03:27 EDT 2008

> Michael Barton wrote:
> > Here are some comments from the GUI side, and some personal
> > observations. *indicates importance for GRASS 7.
> > d.frame - Everyone agrees that cartography functions are very
> > desirable. But this module was too primitive

wrt primitiveness, try the d.frame.split addon script. (for grass 6)
and to a lesser extent d.rast.leg. I think "low-level" may be a
better term for the module's UI vs. "primitive". It does well in
scripts.

> > d.measure - Duplicated in GUI

also have a look at the swig/python/examples/m.distance python script
for a fully non-interactive version.

> > d.what.rast - Replicated with GUI wrapper for r.what
> > d.what.vect - Replicated with GUI wrapper for v.what
> > d.where - Built into GUI canvases
Glynn:
> I have wondered whether there's any point in
> cannibalising these as non-interactive programs which accept
> x/y screen coordinates as arguments.

r.what already provides a non-interactive d.what.rast, and
although I am not very familiar with it, v.what exists and
seems to work. So not much to do here.

Hamish