[GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 13:22:02 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I am raising again (at the end not so much important point)
suggestions to change terminology in grass7.

GRASS is basically layer-based GIS, in grass6 we call layers as maps,
e.g. raster map. I would suggest to use in grass7 'layer' instead

* raster layer
* 3d raster layer
* vector layer

'Map' could be used for composition of layers. And to rename all the
arguments ('map' -> 'layer').

'Layer' is currently used for vectors. Original term 'field number'
seems to me as a better choice. It would mean at the end to rename
also all 'layer' parameters to 'field'.

?

Martin

--