[GRASS-dev] Re: grass-dev Digest, Vol 28, Issue 19

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Aug 8 13:01:43 EDT 2008

On 08/08/08 18:12, Michael Barton wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2008, at 9:00 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 17:53:48 +0200
>> From: Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
>> Subject: [GRASS-dev] [Fwd: Re: [GRASS-user] vector layer labelling
>>     doesn't    work....]
>> To: grass-dev <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>>
>> Forwarding to dev-list in case someone wants to react. Summary: in
>> vector area maps, labels are only displayed when centroids are also
>> displayed.
>>
>> Proposal: automatically display centroids, when attribute label option
>> is activated.
>
> This is ugly for areas.

Well, currently, if you want to display labels, you have to display the
centroids, but you can make them points with size 1, so hardly visible...

> It would be much better to allow labels to be
> displayed without centroids being displayed.

Then you would need a new ltype parameter to determine for which types
of features you would like to see labels. Otherwise, in a layer (using
new proposed terminology) mixing different types of features, GRASS
wouldn't know for which type you want labels, since you did not need to
activate them with the type parameter...

So, three choices:

1) We automatically activate centroids when the user choses to display
lables. Maybe we could allow a point size of 0 to not display the
centroid at all.

2) We add an ltype parameter.

3) We don't change anything and educate users ;-)

Moritz