[GRASS-dev] 7.x Status Update

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Aug 11 11:22:11 EDT 2008

On 10/08/08 11:50, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Glynn Clements wrote:
>
>> Another potentially disruptive update: the raster library now uses
>> floating point values for coordinates.
>
> Next update: the cairo driver is now the default, assuming that GRASS
> was built --with-cairo. If you haven't been enabling this, now is the
> time to try, as the PNG driver may not be around for much longer.
>
> It's still possible to force the PNG driver to be used by setting
> GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE=PNG.
>
> At present, it uses the "toy" font backend, which means that it only
> understands a limited set of fonts (AFAICT, it understands mono, serif
> and sans, and -bold and -italic variants), although support for
> FreeType and stroke fonts will be added soon.

Seems to work great on the command line (aside a few questions below),
however, there seems to be problems in the guis:

- tcltk gui (gis.m): I cannot display any vector maps; raster map
display becomes very slow when zooming out, with memory usage rising
steadily

- wxpython gui: I can display vector maps, but as soon as I ask not to
display centroids, nothing is displayed at all

And here a few questions:

- How do I configure which format the cairo driver writes to (i.e. other
than PNG) ? GRASS_CAIROFILE doesn't seem to work:

GRASS 7.0.svn (nc_spm_06):~ > export GRASS_CAIROFILE=map.ps
GRASS 7.0.svn (nc_spm_06):~ > d.rgb r=blend.r b=blend.b g=blend.g
cairo: collecting to file: map.png

- How to tell it to read from an existing file ? Again, GRASS_CAIRO_READ
doesn't seem to work.

Moritz