[GRASS-dev] default icon set in wxGUI

Robert Szczepanek grass at szczepanek.pl
Tue Aug 12 22:51:48 EDT 2008

Michael Barton wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2008, at 9:00 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> Martin Landa pisze:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> 2008/8/12 Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl>:
>>> I am not sure which icon set should be default, anyway I am using
>>> silk... Maybe we could vote?
>>>
>>> +1 for silk ;-)
>>
>> Needless to say me the same: +1 for silk.
>
> The GRASS icon set is specifically designed for GRASS functions. Some
> of the silk icons clearly map on to GRASS functions, but others are
> pretty enigmatic because they are not designed for GIS.
>
> I'm reluctant to make the generic silk set the default when there are
> mismatches between icon and function. This makes GRASS more difficult
> to learn for the uninitiated.
>
> Michael

As my voice in this discussion I made some
http://www.szczepanek.pl/icons.grass/v.0.1/ new icons  and compared them
with both sets you are talking about. Silk icons are nicer from design point
of view, but I agree with Michael - they are less intuitive.
New icon set preparation must consider ongoing discussion on
http://www.nabble.com/terminology-issues-in-grass7-to18875472.html
terminology issues  and I hope to complete it (with your help) by beginning
of October. When do you plan to release GRASS 7?

Q: Why "Add RGB raster layer" icon
http://www.nabble.com/file/p18955972/channel-rgb.gif  has three layers in
both versions? We add just one layer.

Still looking primitive for "map". I don't like my proposal in "Export map
display" icon  http://www.nabble.com/file/p18955972/file-save.png  - too
similar to grid.

Robert