[GRASS-dev] default icon set in wxGUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Aug 13 12:28:01 EDT 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>
>> OK. I see Michael's points. One thing though:
>>
>>> Also, while the GRASS icons may seem large to some,
>>
>> They are too large.
>
> That depends upon your monitor resolution. Icons need to have
> sufficient pixels and also need to be physically large enough on
> screen. On a low resolution monitor, the pixel size tends to be the
> limiting factor; on a high resolution monitor, the physical size is
> the limiting factor.
>
> Ideally, you would have icons available in a range of pixel sizes, and
> select the size based upon the monitor resolution, monitor size and
> your eyesight. Windows has 16, 24, 32 and 48-pixel versions of most of
> the shell icons, while Gnome/KDE apps tend to have 16, 22, 24, 32, 48
> and 64 pixel versions.

In fact, wxPython can resize icons, within reason given their base
resolution, on the fly. I originally had the 'classic' icons resized
because of a bug in earlier versions of wxPython. That has been
dropped but looks like it could easily be reimplemented.

>> Example: in digitizer half of the tools are not
>> visible unless you manually extend the window width.
>
> That's a bug (or maybe a limitation in wxPython, but I don't think
> so). A window's minimum size should be sufficient for all of its
> subwindows to obtain their minimum size and to be visible.

I think I spotted where this is this morning but don't have time right
now to look at it in detail.

>> This hampers
>> usability. Is there a way to deal with that? Like automatically
>> adjust
>> windows sizes to accomodate all the icons which are supposed to be
>> visible?
>
> This ought to be possible. wx.Window has SetSizerAndFit(), which
> causes the Sizer's minimum size to be propagated up to the WM, so the
> WM won't normally allow the window to be any smaller.

This may not work with aui toolbars. These are somewhat special. But
will look into it.

Michael