[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] configure problem

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Aug 14 14:08:22 EDT 2008

Martin Landa wrote:

> > Yes, Glynn, that was the problem. The 6.3.0 source code is fine, and
> > ./configure works fine now. I must have introduced the CR-LF endings by
>
> not directly related,

Apparently not; it appears that he extracted the files from a .tar.gz
on Windows, then copied them to Linux.

> maybe we should drop (as Hamish suggested, AFAIR) SVN property
> eol-style : native at least for source code files.

I don't think so. MinGW's gcc can handle CRLF, and using native EOL
allows the user more choices in the tools they use. E.g. they can open
the files in Notepad; it's not the best text editor ever, but it's
installed by default, and adequate for people who aren't actually
programming, but just want to test the latest versions.

Some data files which are processed by GRASS (and not using G_getl2)
may need LF, so those should have eol-style:LF. Although we should
really try to accept any of LF, CR or CRLF (Python code should use the
"universal newlines" feature).

In any case, I doubt that many people will retrieve code from SVN on
Windows then copy to Linux. It's more of an issue with .tar.gz files,
particularly if they're extracted using e.g. WinRAR or WinZip.