[GRASS-dev] r.watershed2 with MFD

Isaac Ullah isaac.ullah at asu.edu
Fri Dec 5 13:54:27 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Markus Metz <markus_metz at gmx.de> wrote:
> I took the request for MFD support in r.watershed by Helena and Dylan to
> heart and implemented it, but still need a few more days to clean up the
> code, then I want to submit it as r.watershed2.mfd to grass-addons.
>
> A first result for flow accumulation is here:
> http://markus.metz.giswork.googlepages.com/rw2_mfd_large.jpg
> This output has been calculated from elev_lid1972_1m in the North

> Carolina sample dataset.

Markus, this is absolutely amazing! I was just testing a new version of my
erosion simulation module (r.landscape.evol) in whic I had incorporated the
new r.watershed, and I was getting the "linear artifacts" that Helena
mentioned in my long term (100 cycle) runs. I was experimenting with
neighborhood median smoothing to amelorate these effects, and had just
determined that a 5x5 median smoothing window worked the best, even though
it adds ~12 seconds per cycle to the run time. But that may all be
irrelevant now that you have implemented MFD into r.watershed! I can;t wait
to test this new functionality of r.watershed in r.landscape.evol, I'm
expecting it to produce fantastic results!

Cheers,

Isaac Ullah

--

Isaac I Ullah, M.A.

Archaeology PhD Student,
ASU School of Evolution and Social Change

Research Assistant,
Mediterranean Landscape Dynamics Project
isaac.ullah at asu.edu
ullah at archaeologist.com

http://www.public.asu.edu/~iullah