[GRASS-dev] Shape import : out of memory

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Sat Feb 2 10:38:12 EST 2008

Hi,

I try to import a 1GB Shapefile and the geometries seem to be in a really
bad condition. Building topology GRASS exits after 30 hours with an OUT OF
MEMORY! error (see below).

Can someone give me hint, what I could do, to import this file? Using -c or
-f flag is no option, because I would like to use GRASS to clean the data as far
as possible automatically and I wouldn't like to split the file into subregion,
if I don't have to.

The PC I use is a dual core 1,8MHz with 4GB RAM and 1.6GB swap. Is this still
not enough or can I change something in GRASS (extend or change memory
parameter) to finish the import? I used a svn version from yesterday.

below you see parts of the 230MB log file:

 thanks
  Otto

############# part of logfile

Projection of input dataset and current location appear to match
Layer: schutzgebiete
Importiere 886619 Objekte der Karte...
WARNUNG: Area size [1.1e-05], area not imported
WARNUNG: Area size [5.0e-06], area not imported
WARNUNG: Area size [1.1e-05], area not imported
WARNUNG: Area size [8.6e-05], area not imported
WARNUNG: Area size [7.1e-05], area not imported
WARNUNG: Area size [2.5e-05], area not imported
WARNUNG: Area size [3.9e-05], area not imported
WARNUNG: Area size [6.6e-05], area not imported
[...]
Building topology for vector map <schutzgebiete>...
Registriere Linien
[...]
902000 903000 904000
906094 primitives registered
Building areas:
[...]
100%
714558 areas built
625964 isles built
Füge Inselflächen hinzu:
[...]
100%
Füge Zentroide hinzu:
[...]
100%
Topology was built
Anzahl von Knoten     :   745666
Anzahl von Primitives :   906094
Anzahl von Punkten    :   0
Anzahl von Linien     :   0
Anzahl von Boundaries :   906094
Anzahl von Zentroiden :   0
Anzahl von Flächen    :   714558
Anzahl von Inseln     :   625964
Anzahl inkorrekter Boundaries   :   246365
Anzahl von Flächen ohne Zentroid :   714558
WARNUNG: Cleaning polygons, result is not guaranteed!
Building topology for vector map <schutzgebiete>...
Topology was built
Anzahl von Knoten     :   745666
Anzahl von Primitives :   906094
Anzahl von Punkten    :   0
Anzahl von Linien     :   0
Anzahl von Boundaries :   906094
Anzahl von Zentroiden :   0
Anzahl von Flächen    :   -
Anzahl von Inseln     :   -
Break polygons:

Registering points 566154
Registering points 1023238
[...]
Registering points 10910043
Registering points 10910043
All points (vertices): 20905602
Registered points (unique coordinates): 10910043
Points marked for break: 1270535
Breaks:     0
Breaks:   217
Breaks:   285
Breaks:   295
Breaks:   351
Breaks:   372
Breaks:   385
[...]
Breaks: 3918420
Breaks: 3918432
Breaks: 3918711
Breaks: 3918732
Breaks: 3918832
Remove duplicates:
Duplicates:     0
Duplicates:     1
Duplicates:     2
Duplicates:     3Duplicates: 28596
Duplicates: 28597
Duplicates: 28598
Clean boundaries at nodes:
Modifications:     0
Modifications:     0
Modifications:     0
Modifications:     0
[...]
Modifications: 765495
Modifications: 765495
Break boundaries:
Intersections:     0
Intersections:     0 (line 3513)
Intersections:     0 (line 4577)
Intersections:     0 (line 10159)
[...]
Intersections:   503 (line 6431268)
Intersections:   503 (line 6431505)
Intersections:   503
Remove duplicates:
Duplicates:     0
Duplicates:     1
[...]
Duplicates:  2429
Duplicates:  2430
Clean boundaries at nodes:
Modifications:     0
Modifications:     0
Modifications:     0
Modifications:     0
[...]
Modifications:     0
Modifications:     0
Modifications:     0
Change dangles to lines:
Removed dangles:     0  removed lines:     0
Removed dangles:     0  removed lines:     1
Removed dangles:     1  removed lines:     2
Removed dangles:     2  removed lines:     3
[...]
Removed dangles: 10527  removed lines: 10528
Removed dangles: 10528  removed lines: 10529
Removed dangles: 10529  removed lines: 10529
Remove bridges:
Removed bridges:     0  removed lines:     0
Removed bridges:     0  removed lines:     0
[...]
Removed bridges:     0  removed lines:     0
Removed bridges:     0  removed lines:     0
[...]
WARNUNG: Kann den FlÃ___chenzentroiden nicht berechnen.
WARNUNG: Kann den FlÃ___chenzentroiden nicht berechnen.
WARNUNG: Kann den FlÃ___chenzentroiden nicht berechnen.
[...]
WARNUNG: Kann den FlÃ___chenzentroiden nicht berechnen.
WARNUNG: Kann den FlÃ___chenzentroiden nicht berechnen.

Layer: schutzgebiete
OUT OF MEMORY!
OUT OF MEMORY!
[...]