[GRASS-dev] module ->label versus ->description

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 22:32:59 EST 2008

> Hamish wrote:
> > I notice these two changes:  (are there more?)
> >   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/25463
> >   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/29533
> >
> > They are good candidates to use both module->label and
> > module->description. Using both of those is not an error. If the
> > GUI or lib/parser.c fails to deal with that, the bug is not in the
> > module.

Martin:
> I am not sure about using tooltips for module description (i.e.
> label/description). The tooltip can be moved to the manual page
> ('description' section). See [1].
>
> [1]
> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-new-std-options-for-files-p12554008.html

ok, if you follow the thread view from that post you can see Glynn's
replies of Sep 8, 2007 and Mar 23, 2007 which should help explain it.
The dual role of ->description is a bit confusing at first but makes
some sense once it is explained.

A module's (or option's) sub-title need not be shown or thought of as a
tooltip. e.g. --help, --html-description, the TclTk GUI and
tools/module_synopsis.sh all handle it well. For module options, making
it into a tooltip is just a handy thing to do with it. I would hope
wxGUI would handle module->label in a similar way to the TclTk GUI
(unfortunately I still wait for Debian+wx2.8 issues to be resolved
before I can help).

If the information is important enough to be used as a subtitle, by all
means it should be mentioned in the help page as well.

> > In the case where helpful information is removed from one place,
> > care must be taken to add it back in somewhere else.
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/25463
>
> The tooltip (module->description) has been moved to the manual page.

I saw that, I was wondering about r29533. (I see you've now corrected
that, thanks)

Hamish