[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS needs TclTk 8.4

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 01:47:08 EST 2008

Glynn Clements wrote:
> On both Windows and MacOSX, requiring X11 is a major defect. I don't
> feel that we can honestly claim to provide a "MacOSX" version if it
> requires X11; that's like having a "Windows" version which requires
> Cygwin.

It's not nearly so bad on the Mac. If not already installed, X11 comes
standard on the OSX install DVD, and the new version of OSX launches
X11 automatically if it senses the user app needs it. I think Apple
realizes that by providing a good X11 they can neutralize the "lack of
apps" argument by leveraging the many decades of UNIX+X11 software out
there.
It may not be their primary focus, but at least it's on their radar and
they devote some resources to it.

Hamish