[GRASS-dev] Re: Building GRASS/QGIS with MSYS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Feb 5 09:28:47 EST 2008

Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> > But also with the following warnings:
> >
> > configure: warning: *** Unable to locate iconv() function.
> > configure: warning: *** Unable to locate socket() function.
> > configure: warning: *** --with-opengl=windows is untested.
> > I decided to add Tcl/Tk support to be able to test some new grass
> > modules I added before to be "qgis ready";
>
> Those are harmless as long as you don't need internationalized messages
> in GRASS.

iconv isn't necessarily required for localised messages. At least,
GRASS doesn't use it explicitly; it uses libintl (typically from GNU
gettext), which may use iconv internally.

The only GRASS code which uses iconv() directly is the FreeType text
rendering code in the display system. FreeType indexes glyphs by their
Unicode codepoint.

If you have iconv, any text will be converted from the encoding
specified by $GRASS_ENCODING or "d.font charset=". If you don't have
iconv, all text is assumed to be encoded in ISO-8859-1 (the first 256
Unicode codepoints correspond to ISO-8859-1).