[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #38: configure.in: wxwidgets and python checks

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 6 12:08:56 EST 2008

Martin Landa wrote:

> Hi,

> > > from the ticket description
> > >
> > > It checks
> > >
> > >     * if wx-config is presented
> > >     * wxWidgets version (>=2.8.1 required)
> > >     * check for wx/wxprec.h and wx/wxPython/pseudodc.h (wxPython
> > > required too)
> > >
> > > The patch also checks for Python.h header if --with-python is given.
> > >
> > > for vdigit it meas: it is compiled only when you give --with-python
> > > and --with-widgets, otherwise vdigit would be not compiled.
> > >
> > > Martin
> >
> > That's fine Martin. Thanks. I'm trying to find out how it checks. Are
> > the checks generic enough to work with Mac and Windows, or are they
> > still hard coded to Linux locations?
>
> if you look at gui/wxpython/vdigit/Makefile, only one location is
> still hard-coded, the includes for python
>
> -I/usr/include/python$(PYTHONVERSION)

You should probably use python-config to get this information.

I would suggest that --with-wxwidgets and --with-python take optional
arguments specifying the path to the wx-config and python-config
utilities respectively, in case they aren't in the path. --with-gdal
already behaves like this.

Also, is there any need to have vdigit/Makefile generated from
Makefile.in. Can the configuration settings not go into
Platform.make[.in]? vdigit/Makefile already includes Platform.make via
Lib.make.

> The patch checks for Python.h and include directory, it should work on
> Mac/Windows too.

The configure checks might work, but the hard-coded linking switches
and ".so" won't work. I suggest trying to mimic a normal library build
as closely as possible.