[GRASS-dev] cairo: nothing in resulting ps file

Lars Ahlzen lars at ahlzen.com
Thu Feb 7 16:25:23 EST 2008

Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/2/7, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>:
>> I just build grass --with-cairo, but when I try to create postscript,
>> pdf or svg output, I only get empty files.
>>
>> I'm on debian etch using the libcairo2 & libcairo2-dev  1.2.4-4 packages.
>>
>> Is this a problem with my cairo implementation or is it a problem in the
>> cairo driver ?
>
> I tried some example from [1], seems to work here (png,pdf,ps). Debian
> Sid (libcairo2 1.4.14).
>
> d.mon x0
> d.rast map=elevation.10m
> d.vect map=streams width=1 color=blue fcolor=aqua type=area,line
> d.vect map=roads width=2
>
> d.out.file -c sf_cairo format=png size=800,800
> d.out.file -c sf_cairo format=pdf size=800,800
> d.out.file -c sf_cairo format=ps size=800,800
>
> Martin
>
> [1] http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Cairo_driver

I built the current version from SVN and tried some (fairly simple)
things on my system, and it worked for me as well.

I'm using Cairo 1.4.12.

One thing you may want to double-check is that your cairo libs were
built with support for these formats. Check cairo-features.h (probably
in /usr/include/cairo/) and look for lines like:

#define CAIRO_HAS_SVG_SURFACE 1
#define CAIRO_HAS_PDF_SURFACE 1
#define CAIRO_HAS_PS_SURFACE 1

There are checks in lib/cairodriver/Graph.c for this. You should get an
error message if cairo lacks support for a specific format, though.

/ Lars

--
Lars Ahlzen
lars at ahlzen.com