[GRASS-dev] Proposal bug management (old trackers - GRASS-trac)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 17:35:32 EST 2008

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Suggestion: create tickets in GRASS-trac for the important bugs left
> in GForge or RT. This permits to assign milestones and renders bug
> management more transparent (with little overhead). Communication
> should continue in the old reports.

A nice idea, so we can use trac's nice milestone lists.

But if doing that, I would prefer to full-ascii copy over old bug log
into the new report and resolve the old report with a note about where
it has moved to.

Was there any movement getting ssh (or whatever) access to the GForge
machine to copy to the trac machine and run the importer?

Is there any way to get a raw dump of the RT system? There is a wealth
of institutional knowledge and reasoning in there. Also interesting tid
bits like  http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1069

If not, and it doesn't look good I think we should start on a HTML
scraper for that. (both open and closed! bugs) That way we could keep a
searchable archive. After archiving GRASS 5-only bugs as 'wontfix' we
could "port" the important ones into trac on a as-needed basis.
?

If we can get access to the raw RT database files there are other
options... i.e. write our own translator if one doesn't already exist.
I think it's important enough to consider going to the effort.

Also I personally feel that access to information is more important
than limiting clutter in trac. The milestone filters etc can keep the
"modern" bugs away from the long standing issues.

Hamish

ps- in a harddrive crash I have some months ago lost my RT login
details. There are some bugs like #815 we can close now (r.category
rules=).  http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=815