[GRASS-dev] Re: include wxgrass or not in 6.3.0

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Feb 10 19:41:41 EST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008, at 4:31 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Martin:
>> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Issues
>
> to quote that here:
> -----
>  Issues
>    1. rename $GISBASE/etc/wx to $GISBASE/etc/wxpython
>    2. rename switch 'wx' to 'wxpython', e.g. grass63 -wxpython, g.gui
> type=wxpython
>    3. rename 'wxgrass' script to 'wxgui' (this scripts just runs
> wxgui.py module)
>    4. write g.gui module (draft)
>    5. copy wxgui script to $GISBASE/etc/wxpython (not to
> $GISBASE/scripts)
> -----
>
>>> (trac ticket #38 is still an open issue)
> [--python ./configure changes needed for vdigit]
>

> In light of those, specifically the exposed-to-the-user renaming tasks
> (2,3), it seems clear to me that wx is not ready to be released yet.
> It's not far off -at all-, but those architectural issues need be
> dealt
> with, and (quickly) tested, first. I see no reason why all 5 of those
> couldn't be handled in a week.

I (and a few students here) are using the wxPython GUI as is right
now, without worrying about issues 1-5. I agree that these should be
fixed. I guess I don't see them as a hold up to including it in
6.3.0. If all are agin' it, so be it. But I'd like to see it more
widely tested, and 6.3.0 will be more widely distributed and used
than 6.3.1. We don't have to make a big announcement about it. I'd
just like to see it available for those who want to give it a try.

FWIW, isues 1-3, and 5 can be dealt with in an hour or 2 with the
SVN. The g.gui module should wait until later and isn't necessary. In
fact, it probably shouldn't be released now because it will be a
major change to starting up the current TclTk GUI.

My 2 cents.

Michael