[GRASS-dev] Can I trust libtool?

Ivan Shmakov ivan at theory.asu.ru
Mon Feb 11 13:14:08 EST 2008

 > Hi, I started to build on Windows (MSYS/MinGW) latest releases of
 > GRASS required libraries (zlib, libpng, and so on...) and I thought
 > everything was going well... but (occasionally) browsing /usr/lib
 > dir I found NO dlls of what I built, only .a and .la libraries,
 > while I found dlls in /usr/bin...

[...]

	I'm not familiar with W32, but IIRC, the dynamic libraries are
	searched in PATH on W32.  Since /usr/bin is much more likely to
	be in PATH than /usr/lib, I deem this behaviour as correct.

	There're bugs in any software, and libtool is hardly an
	exception, but after using it for quite some time, I'd say that
	it's reliable enough.