[GRASS-dev] r.in.ascii strangeness

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Feb 15 19:02:17 EST 2008

Michael Barton wrote:

> I've attached a simple text file that I read into GRASS with r.in.ascii.
>
> r.in.ascii  -f input=/Users/cmbarton/Desktop/
> landuse_stats_all_models_orig2.txt output=landuse2 --overwrite
>
> (I've tried it with -d, -ifd, and no flags)
>
> It imports fine with no errors. It displays fine.
>
> r.info shows that it contains data...
>
>          N:         40    S:          1   Res:
> 0.975                     |
>   |            E:         50    W:          1   Res:
> 0.98                     |
>   |   Range of data:    min = 0.000000  max = 24055.437500

 |            N:         40    S:          1   Res: 0.975                     |
 |            E:         50    W:          1   Res:  0.98                     |
 |   Range of data:    min = 0.000000  max = 24055.437500                     |

> YET...
>
> If I query ANY cell with r.what, I get...
>
> 23.979253112|12.2468879668||*
>
> ALL are null. And it won't display in NVIZ--probably because all cells
> are null.
>
> r.mapcalc 'newmap=1.0*landscape2'
>
> produces an empty map.
>
> I've run r.nulls with no effects.
>
> Anyone have an idea what is wrong?

Did you set the region to match the map?

If I set the region to the map (g.region rast=test), I can't reproduce
the problem.

Also, get a decent mail program. One that doesn't insist upon
reformatting stuff that's pasted from a terminal, and doesn't stick
the attachment in the HTML part of a multipart/alternative block.

Apple's mail software has historically been bad at compatibility with
non-Apple systems (much worse than Microsoft), and they appear to
still have some way to go.