[GRASS-dev] GRASS in a usability review

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Mon Feb 18 19:06:32 EST 2008

> I believe we can maybe educate the would be usability student, just like
> in SoC. The student's in the SoC last year didn't have any background in
> GIS, and I think the results were very good despite that. I don't think
> that we should be so scared of ignorance that we would pass this
> opportunity, it is simply a matter of education.
I may remind that the GIMP (one of the first FOSS programs with a GUI)
has hugely benefited from the usability improvements. GIMP is a
(semi-)professional that is also not as simple as spreadsheets...

Since all started in Berlin a number of German podcasts have already
covered this initiative.
They are not graphic artists who are to beautify the icons and windows.
They look at the program and check:
* did the community define proper goals where the GUI should develop to?
* does it meet the users needs?
* what are typical workflows?
* what needs to be improved to enable users to accomplish their work
efficiently.

I know people who wrote their thesis using GRASS and later shifted
"because of the GUI".

> Of course, but some things are universal, like when you do X you can
> expect Y. And re-use of UI elements like color selection. Also things
> like button placement and functionality can be maybe considered. I'm in
> no way a usability expert, not even close, but I've heard many comments
> about how hard GRASS is to use, and I think that with a good usability
> design we can maybe lower the learning curve a bit.
Yes, this is what could need a improvement.

> Yes, I agree. It is a lot better, but I believe it could be made even
> better :)
Since I could read at least 2 "Yes, let's try!" I would like to ask for
another developer to give me a strong confirmation before I fill the
application form.

This needs to be done TODAY (19.02.2008).

Kind regards,
Timmie