[GRASS-dev] Google Summer of Code 2008

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 25 11:03:48 EST 2008

VTK supports 3d render windows as well as 2d render windows and 2d
actors/mappers to visualize
image data. So you are able to use several 2d actors to create layer based
visualizations.

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkActor2D.html

If we are able to bring raster, volume and vector into VTK, we will be able
to use the hundreds of
VTK classes (image, volume and vector) to process grass data.

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classes.html

Which IMHO will bring us enormous benefit in form of parallel image
processing and
complex image-vector, vector-vector and vector-volume algorithms.

Just my 2c
Soeren