[GRASS-dev] Re: r.univar: allow multiple rasters to be processed

Ivan Shmakov ivan at theory.asu.ru
Mon Feb 25 11:08:12 EST 2008

 >> Anyway, I guess I may commit my patch?

 > I am curious to know about in what real-world application it is
 > useful to use multiple input maps for r.univar? Is it for a time
 > series of the same variable?

	Yes, as well as for the case of ``segmented'' dataset.

 > And how does that relate to r.series? Which method is more useful?
 > e.g.:

 > r.univar in=1,2,3,4 | grep mean

 >    vs

 > for MAP in `g.mlist` ; do r.univar $MAP | grep mean ; done
 > RESULT=`bc average($mean_list)`  #pseudo

 >    vs

 > r.series in=1,2,3,4 out=mean_map method=average && r.univar mean_map

 > just wondering, Hamish

	Allowing multiple rasters to be specified saves one from using a
	temporary raster map for the result of `r.series' or `r.patch'.

	Also, the calculation of the standard deviation with the help of
	`r.series' or some Bash code like the above is hardly an obvious
	thing.