[GRASS-dev] way to create PROJ_INFO and PROJ_UNITS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Feb 26 08:16:02 EST 2008

Paul Kelly wrote:

> However the internal format used in GRASS is different (it predates both
> Shapefiles and Java, AFAIK), thus you need to use GRASS functions to
> convert it into a format that your software understands. I still don't see
> why we need to change or add to the internal files GRASS uses for the
> co-ordinate system,

We don't need to. As you have already pointed out, they are *internal*
formats. GRASS' internal formats exist for GRASS, not for anything
else.

Any change will result in incompatibility between different versions
of GRASS. Although that isn't the end of the world, it's a much more
important issue than any incompatibility with third-party software.