[GRASS-dev] Manpage HTML markup consistency

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 12:21:45 EST 2008

On Tuesday 26 February 2008, Patton, Eric wrote:
> Glynn mentioned DocBook as a possible future doc format...what about XML?
> Are there any advantages to ever using that format, or is it pretty much
> the same as using HTML?

This was the kind of thing I had in mind when originally mentioning CSS
block-level classes. I suppose that I should read about how PDFdocs are
created by the Makefile-- but it would be nice to have the man pages in the
most maleable format possible.

> If we ever wanted to move to XML, or at least make it easier to migrate to
> it, all html tags would have to be lowercased, as I believe XML expects it.
> I've written a small sed script to do this already, but I didn't want to
> modify all 300+ docs and do a massive svn commit if there's no point.

DocBook, custom XML, or even some kind of LaTeX hybrid (like the R manual
system) might be useful. Moving thing between HTML and Man page format would
be another story-- but probably doable with some kind of simple
parser/converter.

Dylan

> ~ Eric.

Dylan Beaudette