[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #70: i.target from GUI: strip @mapset part07

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 27 14:10:11 EST 2008

Michael Barton wrote:

>  From the thread about this that I started a couple weeks ago, there
> seem to be some difference of opinion on how to fix the issues about
> reading "@mapset". This can be dealt with in the GUI for the specific
> cases where it's a problem. However, Glynn's point (I hope I'm
> summarizing this correctly) is that this is a problem at the module
> level and should be solved there instead of stripping out the
> "@mapset" at the GUI level. I think we need to get this settled so we
> can decide where to start fixing things.

I don't think that there's any difference regarding what is "the right
thing". The difference is between "doing the right thing" and "I want
this fixed now and I don't know C and/or don't want to touch that
module".

There's no reason why a module should do the wrong thing when passed a
qualified name. Creating files and directories with an "@" in the name
is obviously doing the wrong thing.

The issue is what to do right now. Some of the problems are in code
which most sane people would rather not touch with a very long pole
(e.g. the imagery stuff), so there's a real risk that the module won't
get fixed soon.