[GRASS-dev] Re: GRASS-dev] Re: 'g.gui wxpython' won't work in wingrass as wxgui is a shell script

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Feb 29 10:20:14 EST 2008

On Feb 29, 2008, at 1:45 AM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:03:49 +0600
> From: Ivan Shmakov <ivan at theory.asu.ru>
> Subject: [GRASS-dev] Re: 'g.gui wxpython' won't work in wingrass as
> 	wxgui	is	a shell script
> To: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
> Cc: Ivan Shmakov <oneingray at gmail.com>

>> of running GRASS in Windows so far.
>
> 	Strangely enough, I had no troubles installing Msys recently
> 	(along with Tcl & Tk I've cross-compiled for W32.)

Installing msys and TclTk generally pretty easy, though if msys could
be eliminated, it would make installing GRASS 1 step easier. It's
actually getting the scripts to run that can be tricky.

>> Also, many users are not particularly comfortable with arcane bash
>> shell commands--like in your example above--although I know others
>> who have a special fondness for bash.
>
>> The current plan is ultimately for all core GRASS functions to run as
>> binaries in a cross-platform compiled language (C for most things) OR
>> in Python as a cross-platform scripting environment for GUI and
>> 'permanent' scripts (i.e., those that are distributed as part of
>> GRASS). I'm not familiar with Olin Shivers; I've heard of Scheme, but
>> don't know it.
>
> 	The point is that Scsh, designed by Olin Shivers, employs a
> 	special Shell-like notation for running external commands.  I
> 	don't know any other language to implement such a feature.
>
>> However, IMHO, Python is much easier to teach someone and to work
>> with than bash.
>
> 	Well, I've heard of Python, but don't know it.  Could you please
> 	show me the ``g.mlist ...'' fragment above rewritten in Python?

Can you explain what pattern you're trying to get (exposing my own
ignorance of the subtleties of bash)?

Michael