[GRASS-dev] d.legend: labels on smooth legends

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 16:29:45 EST 2008

Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> 	One more problem with d.legend is that it labels both ends of
> 	the scale (and places intermediate labels at equal distances.)
> 	However, it may be more appropriate not to label one or both
> 	ends.
>
> 	Consider, e. g., raster having the range -13 .. 123.  With
> 	d.legend placing, say, 7 labels they would be: -13, 10, 32, 55,
> 	78, 100, 123.  While it may be preferred to have 0, 20, 40, 60,
> 	80, 100, 120 labelled instead (like Gnuplot would put the tics
> 	on the axes by default.)

I will be able to address d.legend issues when I get back to work next
week. The logic of the module is a bit of a nightmare so I like to do
it personally.

but quickly,
- Labels for smooth legends (incl FP maps) worked once upon a time.
  see r.category
- There are options for range= and labels= so you can make the breaks
wherever you want them with a small bit of math. see also use=
ps.map's automatic legend ticks may be prefered but offer much less
control.

Hamish