[GRASS-dev] cvs>svn?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jan 15 23:45:56 EST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008, at 4:33 PM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:45:12 -0800
> From: Dylan Beaudette <dylan.beaudette at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] cvs>svn?
> To: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
> Cc: Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>,	Paul Kelly
> 	<paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk>,	GRASS developers list
> 	<grass-dev at grass.itc.it>

>> Paul:
>>> Would that mean updates to the website would have to be done through
>>> a web-based interface? I'm not sure I'm keen on that. When making a
>>> change to the website it's good to be able to grep to see where the
>>> thing you are changing is mentioned, and change all occurences.
>
> This is an important downside to using a CMS like Drupal. A global
> find /
> replace is not easily implemented by default. It may be possible to
> add this
> functionality through a 3rd party module.
>
>> Before supporting a move to Drupal I would still like to see
>> prototypes
>> of the GRASS frontpage, download page, and since it's already
>> begun the
>> screenshots page implemented. How will the final product look?
>>
>> Markus:
>>> http://grass-dev.osgeo.net
>>
>> One thing I think is critical is that the changes are monitored in
>> some
>> sort of SCM with change history including author, date, and commit
>> log
>> message. Does drupal give access to change history?
>
> I think that it is possible to have revisioned edits with Drupal,
> possibly
> after enabling some module.
>

>> Personally I prefer the exactitude of the 'vim' + raw html approach,
>> and don't like presenting a blog-like page style for a project
>> homepage. But I look forward to seeing what the Drupal prototype will
>> look like, or 3rd party examples, and hope my worries can be
>> relieved.
>
> Here is an example of a user-powered Drupal site. There are a
> couple of
> add-ons present for pretty-printing code snippets, etc. I would be
> happy to
> comment on any other Drupal related questions.
>

>> Having said that I am all for lowering barriers to entry to allow
>> more
>> helpers to contribute. But raw HTML is not very hard, and Markus's
>> nice
>> CSS setup ensures a consistent and pretty look.
>>

> I felt this way too. Although, now I am starting to like the
> ability to easily
> define a pile of terms which can be used to index / cross-
> reference / sort
> pages on a Drupal site. This allow rapid navigation by concept
> rather than
> static navigation approaches commonly used on web pages.
>

> It would be good to experiment a bit with the new Drupal site, and
> if it is
> [...]

I didn't see a link to the Drupal site that Dylan mentioned. Here is
one that we recently set up for a new international modeling group.
It is still under construction, but you can get an idea of how it
looks. There are a LOT of "themes" that you can apply. I suppose that
means it is not too hard to create a theme, though I don't know how
one does it.

<http://www.openabm.org>

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies