[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-trac] #13: GRASS OGR Module failing

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jan 17 23:48:49 EST 2008

Hamish wrote:

> > > lib/init/init.sh uses tput to clear the terminal screen. tput is
> > > provided by the ncurses package which is (judging from the above)
> > > apparently optional in Cygwin.
>
> Glynn:
> > I would remove the tput from init.sh (personally, I think that script
> > does too much anyhow). But you'll still need ncurses for several
> > modules, as well as the -text startup, so I would also be inclined to
> > list it in the requires: line in setup.ini.
> >
> > More generally, ncurses is a not-really-optional depdency.
>
> I have not been able to track any reverse-dependency info for the
> cygwin package, so I don't know if it is randomly missing from the
> reporter's local install or not included in a standard minimal cygwin +
> grass install. Do other cygwin users reading this have it installed? I
> doubt many folks would have installed the package manually.

Hardly any Cygwin packages require ncurses. Specifically, only aspell,
clear, fvwm, rxvt-unicode-common, singular-base and w3m require it
(according to my most recent setup.ini, which is rather old).

> ie there comes a point where we could put dozens of packages in the
> setup.ini file to work around omissions in the require info of
> dependent packages, ....
>
> we already require libncurses8, presumably that should cross-depends
> with the ncurses package somehow. For now I've included both.

ncurses requires libncurses8:

	@ ncurses
	sdesc: "Libraries for terminal handling (main package)"
	ldesc: "The curses library routines are a terminal-independent method
	of updating character screens with reasonalble optimization. The
	ncurses (new curses) library is a freely distributable replacement
	for the discontinued 4.4BSD classic curses library.  This package
	contains the documentation and utility programs."
	category: Base Libs
	requires: cygwin libncurses8 terminfo

It probably gets updated with each new ncurses release, so that it
always requires the most recent version of libncurses.

Assuming that is the case, GRASS' setup.ini should explicitly list
both ncurses and libncurses8.