[GRASS-dev] two disks or one

Gerald Nelson gnelson at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 24 09:48:27 EST 2008

I have work underway that uses a series of scripts to call mapcalc and crunch really large datasets on different parts of the world. I can run the scripts in separate instances of grass.

My understanding is that grass is designed to read and write a lot to the hard drive so that it can handle large data sets. So my question is would it faster to get two 250 gig SATA drives with one region of the world on each or one one 500 gig drive with both data sets?

Advice appreciated!

Jerry
Gerald Nelson
Professor, Dept. of Agricultural and Consumer Economics
office: 217-333-6465
cell: 217-390-7888
315 Mumford Hall
1301 W. Gregory