[GRASS-dev] convert 3D polygons or Tins to a DEM?

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Jan 28 10:42:12 EST 2008

In relation to handling of large data sets - changing the algorithm
may not solve the issue. I haven't tried it with larger data set but
based on my previous experiences it may get stuck on topology building.
So that would need to be solved first (and you cannot skip topology
this time, as we did with points, because the result are areas and
nothing would work with the resulting map without topology).

As for 3D - Benjamin, if you could just add the original z value to the
output vertices (the value for centroid can be computed by calling the
tin.c ) that will be sufficient to get the basic functionality and
display
the resulting TIN in 3D. For more sophisticated triangulations using
the existing libraries would be a more comprehensive solution,
as suggested by Markus (as long as we can make them part of GRASS
distribution)

Helena