[GRASS-dev] Compiling problems within XDRIVER directory

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jul 3 13:06:21 EDT 2008

Roberto Antolí­n wrote:

> I'm trying to compile the last SVN version and I'm getting a few
> problems within XDRIVER directory. I've found exactly the same
> compilation error in this post [1], but the answer wasn't very helpful:
> "You didn't have some X11 libraries or includes".
>
> The point is... Which ones I'm missing?? I think I've installed the
> totality of xlib*, libx11* and x11* libraries a can't get rid of it.
>
> Does anybody know how to solve this? Any hint?

You need to provide detailed information, i.e. the portion of the
"make" output containing the command which failed, and the error
messages which it produced.

Problems with headers are most often caused by neglecting to install
the relevant "dev" packages. A typical Linux distribution has separate
runtime and development packages for each library. The runtime package
is sufficient to run programs which require the library, but you need
the corresponding development package in order to compile programs
which use it.