[GRASS-dev] Re: requiring 2.8.1.1???

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jul 26 15:32:30 EDT 2008

Please see below

On Jul 26, 2008, at 2:57 AM, Martin Landa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2008/7/25 Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>:
>> I commented out the CheckForWx() line in globalvar.py and got the
>> following
>> message...
>
> do you mean?
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/gui/wxpython/gui_modules/globalvar.py#L52
>
> This function is also called
>
> gis_set.py:globalvar.CheckForWx()
> gui_modules/menuform.py:globalvar.CheckForWx()
> gui_modules/dbm.py:globalvar.CheckForWx()
> gui_modules/globalvar.py:def CheckForWx():
> gui_modules/globalvar.py:CheckForWx()
> wxgui.py:globalvar.CheckForWx()
>
>> ERROR: wxversion.select() must be called before wxPython is imported.
>> wxPython >= 2.8.1.1 is required. Detailed information in README file.
>> I can upgrade. But is this a good idea? Have you added something
>> that only
>> works in the most recent version?
>
> Did you modify CheckForWx()? You need to call import wxversion before
> you call wxversion.select()...
>
> Just try in python

> '2.8.8.1'

This version check is failing with 2.8.8.0 on the Mac even if the
correct version is installed. It may be failing with other version
too.  wx.__version__ looks for wxpython SOURCE (*.py) files that are
not currently being included in the wxpython binary installer for some
reason. The object files are correct and being installed (*.pyo).

Why not just use wx.version()? It gives the correct response
regardless of whether the source files are installed or not.

Michael