[GRASS-dev] debugging nviz with TclTk 8.5 aqua

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Jul 30 12:01:23 EDT 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> So, reinstate the txltk aqua option?  And then let the user specify
>> tcltk-includes.  I'd say default the headers to /Library/Frameworks
>> tcl & tk, and recommend that the user installs tcltk aqua 8.5, but
>> requiring the user to supply the paths is also OK.
>
> IMHO, that has to be absolutely the last resort. I'd rather just say
> "you need a *working* version of Tcl/Tk".
>
> Mac users can try harassing ActiveState into providing something that
> actually works,

It's not an ActiveState problem, they just package it as it comes out
of a source build.

> or they can provide a "community" package which
> actually works,

Sure, they could clean up/fix the framework in their package, but
there are still those who will build from source.  And those who will
want to try the system Tcltk 8.4.

I added a bug to the tcl project, but even if anything comes of it,
GRASS configure would still need to handle the system framework and
older 8.5 builds.

> Ultimately, the effort would probably be better spent on hastening the
> migration away from Tcl/Tk to Python.

I would be OK with dropping it completely from v7, but what about v6?
I think that deserves an effort to improve TclTk compatibility with
OSX Aqua.

It's a simple fix, you almost had the right combination of options,
and I have verified that it can work (and Michael has tweaked the GUI
layout a bit already to handle the cosmetic differences).

... hmm, got into a bit of a defensive mode there ...

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy