[GRASS-dev] cell_misc

Yann Chemin yann.chemin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 03:34:18 EDT 2008

2008/6/13 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
> Yann Chemin wrote:
>> I am generating 60,000 maps from 60,000 original ones
>>  (shell script looping r.mapcalc),
>>
>> it says unable to create mapset element cell_misc $filename
>
> cell_misc/ saves each map's data in a subdirectory, not a file like the other raster element directories.  is this in a ext3 partition?

yes it is ext3

> can you break it up into mapsets of ~ 10k maps each, linked by g.mapsets search path? (thus < 32768 subdirectories/cell_misc)

I would want to avoid doing that since I need to use the data (it is
TRMM) in r.hydro.CASC2D, and it reads straight a filename to which it
adds <filename>.<incr_number>

Of course I could do it yearly and save parameters (eventually I may
have to do that...)

>> Since it is a (very) long process, I would like to know if
>> I should stop it now, or if it is not impacting of maps and
>> data?
>
> I think NULL data will be missing, if that is important to you.

Not important at all

> is it possible to stop where you are now and modify the script to restart it where it left off? or are later steps dependent on earlier?

yes it is possible to stop and restart (chronological datasets) even
at a different YYYMMDDHH

> it is sometimes nice to write variables to a small text file or so as it runs so you can "reseed" the second half of the calculation from an arbitrary point without having to rerun the first.

Yeah, I may have to do a yearly mapset structure, which would be ~5000
images (1/2 original, 1/2 processed)

> ?
> Hamish

Thanks Hamish