[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS Command Line

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jun 30 19:52:05 EDT 2008

Marco Pasetti wrote:

> within the WinGRASS installer (6.3.0-4, to be released) I created a new
> StartMenu item: GRASS Command Line
> here's a screenshot of the new GRASS start menu:
> http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/temp/New-WinGRASS-StartMenu.png
>
> it's a link to the batch file grass63-cmd.bat, that's simply as follows:
> @echo off
> grass63 -text
>
> the problem is: when I launch GRASS in text mode (with -text), then the
> .grassrc6 file has "text" as default "launch mode"; that means that
> launching the "classic" grass63.bat link will result in launching GRASS
> in text mode again... and I fear that the standard windows user won't
> know how to launch grass with the tcltk GUI, or if he knows, it will be
> disappointed to need to hack the .grassrc6 file to let the GUI work
> again;
>
> I figured the following "walk around": create a new simple batch file:
> grass63-gui.bat:
> @echo off
> grass63 -tcltk
>
> and replace the grass63.bat link in the menu with a link pointing to
> grass63-gui.bat.
>
> Do you think that there are better solutions?

I don't see a problem with explicitly passing the -text and -tcltk
switches whenever you start GRASS. The default will then only matter
if the user starts GRASS manually from a console.

Also, I'm not sure there's any point to having the batch files. You
can just include the -text or -tcltk switch in the shortcut's command.