[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r30420 - grass/trunk/scripts/v.db.renamecol

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 4 04:34:52 EST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl> wrote:
> Martin Landa pisze:
>
> > 2008/3/3, Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl>:
>
> >> Did my adding periods break any translations? Should I delete theses
>  >>  periods? Sorry if a stupid question.
>
>  > yes, it can turn translated messages to fuzzy.

It will most likely do since the messages are different now from
the previous version.
We should be really careful with the messages. Once someone has
translated 5000 messages s/he will be "happy" to do it again just for the
introduction of a period.

>  > I would prefer to put
>  > '.' at the end of single sentence message too, but since last message
>  > standardization effort follows rule 'single sentence message ->
>  > without '.') I would prefer to continue in this way and to change
>  > 'rules' every year;-)
>
>  OK. I'm deleting them. Though a sentence with no period is crippled.

Well, it's not literature...

>  Reader might suppose the message is incomplete or broken. Could this be
>  changed in GRASS 7?

I don't think so - too much wasted effort.

>  > Anyway it should be documented somewhere.
>
>  Please. As you can see I don't know how the translation mechanism works,
>  so I better don't do it myself.

See here how it works:
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/locale/README

It's fairly easy.