[GRASS-dev] winGRASS Self Installer Package

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 06:46:56 EST 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> First of all, I want to express my thanks on behalf of students here
>> who are using GRASS on Windows [...]
>
> you're welcome... did you already read my new GRASS Windows Native Binary Building Guide?
> http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/grass/BuildFromSource.html <http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/grass/BuildFromSource.html>
> I'm updating it with packaging instructions
> when I'll have enough free time I'll put it into GRASS trac
>
>> My suggestion is that you include SQLite but not PostgreSQL.[...]
>
> Do you think that libsqlite3-0.dll is enough? in my (built) sqlite directory I have /bin with 1 dll and 1 exe, /include with only includes and /lib dir with static libs.

If you've compiled GRASS against the .dll then you don't need the static
libraries. If you've compiled GRASS against the static libraries then you
don't need to include anything - the required libraries will be statically
linked into the GRASS modules (you can usually tell this if the size of
the binaries is very large. I usually delete the static libraries after
compiling to make sure they are not picked up by accident). You certainly
don't need to include the header files in include/ for a binary
distribution - they are only necessary for compiling. If there are some
useful utility programs in bin/ they may be worth sticking into the GRASS
bin directory too, e.g. gdalwarp.exe and gdalinfo.exe from GDAL and
cs2cs.exe and nad2bin.exe from PROJ.

For a lot of packages though you just need the DLL and can stick it
straight into the GRASS $GISBASE/lib directory before packaging up the
binary distribution.

Paul